Have you started working on implementing self-care in your life? Are you finding it challenging to create or maintain the habit? Do you find yourself falling into that old trap of thinking you are being selfish and feeling guilty?
I know there is the temptation to think that taking care of yourself is somehow neglecting others. Not true!
So, I have put together 39 of my favorite quotes to remind you that it is not selfish to prioritize yourself!
Benefits of Self-Care
Self-care gets a lot of discussion on my blog because it’s a critical piece of self-love and acceptance. I preach this message a lot because, as women, we are often trained to believe that any focus on ourselves is both selfish and wrong.
I have made it my personal mission to blow that myth into oblivion.
Without self-care, you can easily fall into burn-out or cultivate the belief that you don’t deserve any better. Self-care is essential and beneficial, specifically:
- Self-care improves your mood: A little focus on yourself can improve your mood and outlook on the day.
- Self-care reduces stress and anxiety: Sometimes, it’s imperative to take a break and calm your mind and emotions.
- Self-care reminds you that you matter: Allowing yourself to spend some time focused on your own needs reminds you that you are just as important as all the loved ones in your life.
Remember, taking care of yourself first is filling your cup so that you have what you need to accomplish everything you need to.
Prioritize Yourself – It Isn’t Selfish
Self-Care and prioritizing yourself have to walk hand in hand. If you never prioritize yourself, you are hardly likely to practice any form of self-care.
I know, I know. I can hear you now…. But I have kids, a partner, a job, a house to clean, laundry to do, food to cook, homework to work on, a parent to care for, etc., and so on and so forth.
Yes, I get it.
We all have busy lives, and we are so used to taking care of everyone and everything else that stopping for a few minutes to focus on our own needs seems, well, selfish.
Let me scream it from the highest point available: Prioritizing yourself with self-care is not selfish!!
Everyone has heard the saying, “You can’t pour from an empty cup.” It’s true. Taking time to give yourself what you need will make you better able to fulfill every role you have in your life.
And if you are better able to give to others, doesn’t that make you the opposite of selfish? Just ponder that one for a minute, okay?
You deserve the same love and kindness that you show to everyone else in your life. And ultimately, you are responsible for taking care of yourself.
So, with all that said, let’s jump into these inspiring self-care quotes to remind you to prioritize yourself. Print your favorites off and place them where you will see them.
Prioritize Yourself Self-Care Quotes
1. “Respect, Love, and Value yourself. Always remember to be good to yourself by taking care of yourself. Make yourself a priority and know that it’s okay. Don’t feel guilty for loving yourself first! You’re just as important as anybody else.” – Stephanie Lahart
2. “I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self-indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival.” – Audre Lorde
3. “Self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others.” – Christopher Germer
4. “Self-care is giving the world the best of you, instead of what’s left of you.” – Katie Reed
5. “There is enough time for self-care. There is not enough time to make up for the life you’ll miss by not filling yourself up.” – Jennifer Williamson
6. “Caring for your body, mind, and spirit is your greatest and grandest responsibility. It’s about listening to the needs of your soul and then honoring them.” – Kristi Ling
7. “People pleasing and putting others first literally diminished my mental, emotional, spiritual and physical well-being. Overwhelmingly, most emotionally wounded people demonstrate this trait. Many of us have been programmed to put others first; to be of service to others before we serve ourselves.” – Christopher Dines
8. “There is a reason flight attendants tell you to put your mask on first in an emergency…you cannot be important to anyone else if you are not first and foremost important to yourself. Appreciate and love yourself then use that to do the same for others.” – Shelley K Wall
9. “It’s okay to take time for yourself. We give so much of ourselves to others, and we need to be fueled both physically and mentally. If we are in balance, it helps us in all our interactions.” – Faith Hill
10. “It’s not selfish, but selfless to be first, to be as good as possible to you, to take care of you, to keep you whole and healthy, that doesn’t mean that you disregard everything and everyone, but you gotta keep your cup full.” – Iyanla Vanzant
11. “You can’t pour from an empty cup. Take care of yourself first.” – Unknown
12. “Taking care of myself doesn’t mean ‘me first.’ It means ‘me, too.” – L.R. Knost
13. “You can’t take care of anyone else unless you first take care of yourself.” – Michael Hyatt
14. “The love and attention you always thought you wanted from someone else, is the love and attention you first need to give to yourself.” – Bryant McGillns
15. “It’s not selfish to love yourself, take care of yourself, and to make your happiness a priority. It’s necessary.” – Mandy Hale
16. “It really is okay for there to be times when you stop putting everyone else first, and just do what’s best for you.” – Tracey Leech
Being There for Others Self-Care Quotes
17. “Rest and self-care are so important. When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.” – Eleanor Brown
18. “Self-care is never a selfish act – it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer others. Anytime we can listen to true self and give the care it requires, we do it not only for ourselves, but for the many others whose lives we touch.” – Parker Palmer
19. “In my own deepening understanding of myself I find my capacity to serve others is deepened as well. The better I am at self-care the more genuinely nurturing of others I am able to be.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
20. “If you want to have enough to give to others, you will need to take care of yourself first. A tree that refuses water and sunlight for itself can’t bear fruit for others.” – Emily Maroutian
21. “If you don’t workout, sleep, meditate, relax, or do whatever special things you need to do for you, you won’t be the best version of yourself. When you’re not your best version of yourself, you can’t do things for others. In a way, it’s actually selfless to take great care of yourself because it allows you to be more present for your family and friends.” – Heather Monahan
22. “Taking care of yourself is the most powerful way to begin to take care of others.” – Bryant McGill
23. “The irony is that when we take care of ourselves first, we are in a much stronger place to take care of those we love.” – Kate Hudson
24. “If you want to help her, you need to help yourself first. No one serves their friends by grinding themselves into dust on the altar of compassion.” – Seanan McGuire
25. “For those of you who struggle with guilt regarding self-care, answer this question: What greater gift can you give to those you love than your own wholeness?” – Shannon Tanner
Keeping Yourself Going Self-Care Quotes
26. “Your soul needs time for solitude and self-reflection. In order to love lead, heal and create you must nourish yourself first.” – Linda Joy
27. “Self-care is not a waste of time; self-care makes your use of time more sustainable.” -Jackie Viramontez
28. “Honestly, self-care is not fluffy. It’s something we should take seriously.” – Kris Carr
29. “Self-care is your fuel … Whatever the road ahead or the path you’ve taken, self-care is what keeps your motor running and your wheels turning.” – Melissa Steginus
30. “Self-care means considering yourself a worthwhile person and presenting yourself as valuable, capable, and deserving. In other words, self-care seeks to redress an imbalance that develops when you don’t take proper care of yourself, whether by inattention or by choice.” – Arin Murphy-Hiscock
31. “When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” – Jean Shinoda Bolen
32. “Our lives are so busy, and for many of us the demands are overwhelming. Some of us focus so much on the needs of others, we lose sight of ourselves. Stop, for one moment. Take a deep breath. Be still. Refocus. Concentrate on improving your life. One situation at a time. You can’t be much good to others if you’re no good to yourself. If they love you, they’ll understand.” – Carlos Wallace
33. “How we care for ourselves gives our brain messages that shape our self-worth so we must care for ourselves in every way, every day.” – Sam Owen
34. “As important as it is to have a plan for doing work, it is perhaps more important to have a plan for rest, relaxation, self-care, and sleep.” – Akiroq Brost
35. “When you can’t find your purpose in a day, make it to look after yourself.” – Dodie Clark
36. “Acknowledge, accept, and honor that you deserve your own deepest compassion and love.” – Nanette Mathews
37. “Learning self-care is like building your own lifeboat, plank by plank. Once you’ve got your boat, you’ll still be rocked by the waves of life, but you’ll have a feeling of safety, and stability that means you can pick other people up on your way.” – Nadia Narain
38. “You don’t have to love yourself in muttered whispers, while loving everyone else with a megaphone.” – Jasmine Farrell
39. “In most families, care-giving becomes the woman’s responsibility. While care-giving can enrich you, it can also deplete you if you don’t have support or make time for self care.” – Kathleen Kendall-Tackett Ph.D
I sincerely hope you found at least a few of these quotes to be inspiring. Prioritizing your self-care is simply too important to ignore. Consider printing off even a couple of them to place around your home as a visual reminder.
However you choose to go about prioritizing yourself and your self-care, I fervently hope you do it with complete confidence that it is not selfish and you should have no guilt. You deserve to take care of yourself, my friend!
Please leave a comment below and share your favorite quote or self-care activity. I love to hear what is working for all of you!
With Love and Acceptance,